Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep


My Trip to Chicago

Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.
 Mary Elizabeth Frye
 I realize that this is one of those well-known poems that everyone knows. However, it does not mean that I'm not going to post about this. Popular things are mainstream for a reason. I do not usually like poetry, I'm more of a Shel Silverstein kind of person, but something in this poem just stole my heart. To be honest, I am a sucker for poems that rhyme. I hope this doesn't offend any poetry admirers, but rhyming just makes things sound ten times better than they usually do. There are some exceptions, but those are rare.

Can you believe that this poem was written in 1932? This is one of the reasons why I think that writing is eternal. Even though its been 82 years, many people can still relate to the emotions expressed through the words. Brace yourself. This will become exceedingly cheesy, but bear with me. I think that the words mean something different every time you read it because you are a different person every time you read it. Sorry if that was awfully phrased, but I hope you got my message.

I am definitely rereading this poem in the future. Maybe I'll make a post about it. Or not.

Comments

Popular Posts